Tuesday, August 19, 2014

While Daddy Is Away

This past weekend Todd and his buddy got together for a Harley road trip down to Nashville. Todd felt horribly that it was Grace's birthday weekend but it was literally the ONLY weekend he and his buddy could get together for the trip. And, truth be told, Grace was happy to celebrate her birthday early while her daddy was still here. Plus, she ended up having two birthday celebrations instead of just one. It was a win/win, really.

So while Todd was busy doing this-
I had to come up with a way to keep the kids entertained and get in a bit of summertime fun too, if possible.

I already wrote about the all day fun the kids and I had on Grace's birthday on Friday. It was a great time and we stayed up far too late but slept in a bit the next day to try and make up for it. But we didn't sit around for very long.

The weather was hovering close to 80 and it was sunny. A perfect day to go to the Farmers' Market. We had not been there the entire summer and on Saturday it was going to be double the fun because Earth Fest was also being celebrated at the same park.

The park was jammed full of people. The kids ate egg rolls (their favorite) and chicken teriyaki kabobs, fruit pies, donuts, peas, and raspberries. It was quite the lunch. We had a great time trying new foods, looking at all the display tables, and having a bouquet of flowers made up for me. We had so much fun. It may have been the best time I've ever had at the farmers' market.

The weather was finally hot enough to take the kids swimming but, unfortunately, a thunderstorm was rolling in. I was pretty disappointed as I watched the radar and the storm front moved closer and closer. I guess this just isn't the summer of swimming we had hoped for. We've only managed to get to our favorite inland lake two times this year and both times the weather was just barely warm enough to allow us to swim without shivering.

I decided that despite the less than optimal weather we WERE going to go swimming after all. The kids had been so well behaved at the farmers' market that I decided to take them to our city's indoor water park. Needless to say the kids were thrilled with the decision.
For 8 hours straight the kids swam and played, went down slides, played basketball in the water, floated on the lazy river, and sat in the hot tub. By the time we left for home it was well past dinner time and the kids were exhausted. They could barely keep their heads up at the dinner table and there may have been a few tired tears. 

Of course, food can work miracles and by the time they were done eating they were feeling more normal. 

And I don't know what happened but I suspect it had something to do with the girl turning FIVE this weekend. I was feeling very wistful and all kinds of melancholy. It probably wasn't the smartest idea to keep the kids up late (way too late) watching old family videos but I did it anyway. We laughed at the way they talked and played and fought and whined. Amazing what a difference 5 years can make, and yet much remains the same. Finally, I sent them off to bed, overtired and all wound up. It was not smart on my part. Meltdowns happened. I scolded. Bedtime routines were cut short and I was cranky. I went downstairs and thought about the videos. About the babies in the videos. My babies. How they were really the same exact people I just rushed into bed. I climbed back up the stairs, snuck into their rooms one by one, gave them proper goodnight kisses and hugs, and reminded them that they are still my babies. No matter how old they get. Always my babies.

It was a good weekend despite Todd being gone. It was a great weekend despite exhausted kids that turned moody and whiny at the drop of a hat. It was a fantastic weekend despite my mood swings, temper tantrums, and frantic need to fit in more fun before summer comes to an abrupt halt.

It really was a memorable weekend. The kind of weekend that makes you forget about all the bad little things that may have happened and only remember the warm, fuzzy moments. And that is the best kind of weekend. What more can you ask for?

10 comments:

Bijoux said...

I give you a lot of credit for taking the kids so many places alone. I would have freaked out at a waterpark without my spouse....and I only have three kids!

Kat said...

Bijoux- Ah, three kids, four kids. What's the difference? I'm sure you would have been fine. Honestly, my boys are all very good swimmers (and had no problem touching the bottom in all the pools) and Grace had a life jacket on and got around really well on her own. I played with them for a while but the water was too cold for me. They pretty much stayed together and swam and played in my line of vision. And there are lifeguards every two feet. It was fun and not as stressful as it used to be when they were little.

Tabor said...

Not enough rest, too much good food and stimulus and then the nostalgia of movies...proper for a few meltdowns, but also healthy.

Angie said...

Looks like a GREAT weekend. I too don't know how you do it traveling alone with them all the time. You are a supermom!

betty said...

I think it was a great weekend! I liked that you thought out of the box so to speak and took them to the inside water park to get some swimming in! I think we all try to stretch a lot of fun into days and then sometimes reach that exhausted part where we need a little rest and food, but I'm still sure wonderful memories were made!

betty

Wisconsin Girl said...

Sounds like it was a fantastic weekend! What fun and such memories!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time to me!

Riahli said...

Wow! That's a lot of fun all packed in there!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Wow! That sounds like a great weekend! 8 hours in an indoor pool/play area? My girls would be in heaven!

When my #4 turns one, I will be pretty melancholy, so who knows what turning 5 will bring. This reminds me to do more videos!

lime said...

i just love a good farmer's market. it's one of the things i really miss where i live now. what passes for such is little more than a couple of vendors.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson