Monday, May 19, 2014

Getting Closer

Slowly, slowly the weather is warming up around here. The leaves are just starting to appear on the trees and the flowers are thinking about making an appearance. This is the latest spring I can remember. Usually by this time my tulips and daffodils are in full bloom and all of the trees are showing their greenery. Not so this year.

I had assumed that by this time the weather would be around the norm of 65 so when Todd asked me if I would join him on a fundraiser Harley ride for this weekend I accepted. I haven't been on a proper bike ride in about 13 years. Riding was a big part of our story and how Todd wooed me back in the day but then he sold his Harley before we got married and I haven't had the chance (or the nerve) to get back on his bike since he bought his new one 3 years ago. Since having kids I'm afraid I've become far too nervous and a one time fun and freeing activity for Todd and I died away for me. 
However, Todd knew he had me suckered in when our friends were having a benefit Harley ride to raise money for their beautiful baby girl's surgeries for her cleft palate and cleft lip. I'm not going to say no to that. And even though the temperatures were far below my normal comfort level I still had a wonderful time.
We rode with a bunch of very fine folks for a very fine cause. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed riding with Todd and was surprised by how safe I felt. It was a great day.

On Sunday the weather was considerably warmer and when I checked the forecast I discovered that this entire week was going to be filled with warm spring weather. And just like that the spring bug bit me.

Immediately after church Todd and the kids and I went and bought a crazy amount of flowers for our yard. Then Grace, my mom and I went to another greenhouse, picked up more flowers, and planted flowers at my dad's and sister's graves.

Meanwhile back at the house...
big things were happening. Joey graduated to the riding mower. He was thrilled and he did a great job. It is a bittersweet moment for Todd, who enjoys cutting the grass and is rather picky about his grass, to hand the reins over to Joe. I'm sure Joey will still be using the push mower the majority of the time but the first time on the rider is still a big deal. Way to go, Joe!

When I got back home Todd and the kids went to his mom's house to cut the grass there. Tommy decided to stay behind and help me with the planting. And thank heavens he did! He was such a huge help carrying the pots and flowers to me, watering all the flowers, getting me more soil, and finding the perfect spot for the flowers. I really don't think that I could have gotten all the planting done without him. He was a fantastic helper.
With Tommy's help I even managed to get our fairy house started. It looks a little bare right now but once the plants grow in a little bit and we add a few more decorations it will be a fairy heaven. 
Yes, the spring bug has finally bitten me. And slowly but surely we are inching our way to summer.

12 comments:

Tabor said...

I have to buy some new stuff for my granddaughters fairy house this year. Just remembered.

Cyndy @ Back in the Bush said...

I love it! I've been working on our garden this week/weekend too but I feel like I'm getting a LATE start, lol!

Bijoux said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen a fairy garden. How neat!

Kat said...

Bijoux- You should see the fairy garden we did last time. Here is the link: http://fritterfarmers.blogspot.com/2012/06/i-believe-in-fairies.html

It looks better because it was more grown in with the plants. I will be adding more to our current garden but I want to wait until the plants grow in a bit more. It is so fun for the kids. They LOVE the fairy garden. Last time I snuck some milkweed pods into the birdhouse that we use as the fairy house and made it look like a little bed. When the kids discovered it they swore a real fairy must live there. :)

Bijoux said...

So cool! I'm not sure my hands are small enough to create all of that. I would have adored that as a little girl.

Anita said...

How did I miss the fairy garden phase for my 3 daughters! Possibly because my husband is the gardener in our family.

I looked at your other link, too, and can see why it is such a worthwhile project.

Best wishes and blessings to your friends' baby girl.

betty said...

That is so cute with the fairy garden! Lots of hard work, but the "fruits" of your labor will be beautiful! WTG to Joey for getting the awesome responsibility of cutting the grass! I am impressed with how green everything is there! Glad spring is finally there!!!

betty

Charmaine said...

Hey Kat :) yay!

Unknown said...

You inspire me to do a fairy garden, that is so cute! Glad Spring has finally arrived and how cool are you, biker chick?! :D

Karen Deborah said...

So glad you went riding with your man! way to keep romance alive, and your garden will be beautiful. You have to be getting warmer we are about to get hot. Working our way up to the 90's this week.

David said...

HI Kat - this is David, formerly of Authorblog. Amazing to see how your children have grown. I never forget old friends and just wanted to say that even though I no longer blog, I still value the friendships with wonderful writers. God bless you and the family.

Kat said...

David!!!! What an honor to have you drop by. I have often looked for your blog. I miss your beautiful pictures and you gorgeous words that accompany them. I have always valued your kind words and comments on my blog. You were such a comfort to me when my father was going through Alzheimer's and your support of my little blog was always amazing to me.
Thank you so much for taking the time to check on me and my family. I hope life is treating you very well. Many blessings to you!!!!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson