Monday, February 4, 2013

Things That Are Good

So, this weekend was good.  After my last hideous post the next day was much better.  Thank God.

I am back to being able to take a step back and see all the good things going on again.

- On Friday we had parent/teacher conferences for all of our kids.  Safe to say our kids have some awesome teachers who really get them, allow them to be themselves, and appreciate them.  They are all doing well in school and continue to improve.  It was a great reminder for me after the messy, icky day we had the day before.  So, so good.

- On Saturday I stayed in my pajamas all day and lounged around the house.  I can not remember the last time I did that.  It was good.

- On Sunday we went to a super fun Superbowl party, ate too much yummy food, had a few drinks, and then won $100 on the Ravens' win.  Plus, we had many compliments on our polite, sweet, smart (they played Chess half the night), funny kids.  That's good.

- This week is Ben's birthday.  This morning I finished shopping for all of his birthday presents and came up with a fabulous idea for his birthday cake.  Very good.

- The weather is going to warm slightly and we should be getting some fresh snow tomorrow.  Just in time for Joey's class sledding trip.  He thinks that is GOOD.


Also good?  The Superbowl commercials.  Overall I thought there were a number of great commercials and only a few duds.  The gross, loud-kissing commercial with Bar Refaeli?  Um.  Yuck.

Here are a few of my favorites:

This one made me bawl my brains out. Cuz I'm a huge sucker.



This one makes me bawl my brains out too (surprise, surprise).  Paul Harvey reminds me of my childhood.  Whenever I hear his voice I am immediately back in my parents' bedroom listening to their radio in the morning.  This commercial is perfection.


This commercial makes me cry too (egad.  maybe something is wrong with me!).  I'm always rooting for the underdog, you know.  Love it.  So good.


This one makes me cry too (but only because I'm laughing too hard).  I swear this is me in 40-50 years. So good.


And that concludes all the good, for now.

What's good in your 'hood?

13 comments:

Mom24 said...

Yay for all the good! So glad for you. We all need to have things go well after hard times.

I loved those commercials and yes, I cried too. :)

Riahli said...

Haha! We didn't watch the game, but those commercial were pretty awesome {and normally I hate commercials} so that's saying a lot! :)

Bijoux said...

Will you post a picture of the birthday cake? I will email you a photo tomorrow. I rarely post personal photos on my blog, and then I delete them when I do.

What's good here? That today is over....long story, but I had to drive middle child quite a ways for a college field trip and the roads were not good, thanks to lake effect snow hanging over us.

Onward and upward!

Cyndy Bush said...

That kissing commercial was DISGUSTING!
Totally agree with your faves!
And I'm so glad you're feeling better. xoxo

dawn klinge said...

Ha, ha! I had not seen the Taco Bell commercial. That is so funny! :) I wasn't watching the Superbowl, but I walked into the room when the Paul Harvey commercial came on, and I got a little teary too. Just that voice....it brings back memories for me as well.

betty said...

Glad you had a chance to decompress this weekend; sounds like it was a good one! I liked the clydesdale commercial too, but my favorite was the M&M one, LOL :)

betty

Charmaine said...

Hey from SA :) so glad u posted and are feeling better :) Loved the commercials esp the prom one ! What's good here... the back of our heat-wave has been broken and my 6 year old is doing great in grade 1 :) Stay strong Kat.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED hearing Paul Harvey's voice. I still listened to him as a grown up!
Glad your kids' school year is going so well.

Jeni said...

Ya know, we're all entitled to a bad day every now and then and it was VERY GOOD to see you snap back to this frame of mind. Just remember when the bad days do come along, that "This too shall pass!" And it always does, just not always in the time span we want though at times.
Gotta say I agree with your commercial choices, 100 percent, too!
And with the theme of your post -VERY GOOD!

Kat said...

Bijoux- Thanks for the picture! :)
I don't know if I'll post pics of the cake. It probably isn't that exciting for anyone reading, but when I make the kids' cakes I usually put some kind of toy on top of it that they are really into. Ben is into LEGOs and I bought him a firetruck LEGO set for his bday. Then I found a small fireman on a motorcycle putting out a fire. So many things that Ben likes in one little toy and it will fit on top of his cake and go with the other present I bought for him. :)

Hilary said...

Oh thanks for these. They don't broadcast the good commercials up here .. and besides that, I wasn't watching the game anyway. But these are always fun to see. I love the Budweiser one best.

MamaB said...

Kat, the Clydesdale commercial was filmed At Warm Spring Ranch in Boonville, MO. That is only an hour away from me, it is were all Budweiser Clydesdale's are bred and trained for this region. The foal they used was only a week old during filming and was recently named Hope. The open the ranch for touring after the foaling season and we plan on taking the girls since we can't keep the pretty pony (Amelia's words) our backyard. ;-)

Wisconsin Girl said...

Fun to read all of these good things and glad that your not so great day was followed up with some pretty great things. And so we keep pressing on...being the best that we know how! You are a wonderful mom!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson