Saturday, June 11, 2011

Life In These Parts

It has been another busy week.  This was the last week of school, so we had the typical parties and picnics and skits and graduation ceremonies to attend for the boys' classes. 

Thursday Ben had his last day of 3K.  Next year he will be going to a different school because the 4K program at the boys' current parochial school has to be in the afternoon and that just doesn't work for us.  Ben will instead be going to a preschool at an arts center nearby.  It is a great program and we had Joey at the same school when he was in 3K (that year our parochial school didn't have a 3K because of low enrollment).  We signed Ben up yesterday and he is so excited.  I don't think he quite understands that he won't be able to go to school for another few months.  I think I will be dealing with the "Am I going to my new school TODAY?" question for a long time.  *sigh*
Friday Tommy "graduated" from kindergarten.  It has been such a fabulous year for him.  His teacher is amazing and has all of the kids reading already.  She is so enthusiastic and fabulous.  Tommy just loved her and my dear tender boy actually got teary saying goodbye to her.  Aww.
Joey is done with second grade too and is now officially a third grader.  He has done so much growing this year.  It started out a bit rough.  Second grade is such an adjustment from first grade.  So much more homework, and work in general.  I think he was testing his boundaries and seeing what he could and couldn't do, and what he could get away with.  We cracked down on him, and he responded very well.  His teacher did a great job of being firm but patient with him and he ended up having a great year.  He was even made student of the month! 
Now I have a third grader, a first grader, and another in 4K.  Amazing.  Crazy how fast time can go, even while the days sometimes feel so long. 

The boys have been riding bikes and playing outside as much as they can considering the weather has turned cool and rainy.  Add to that our dirt filled backyard and they don't have a ton of options.  Yesterday when Todd was working with the construction crew in the backyard Joey and Tommy were putsing around back there too.  I came out to tell them to stay away from the workers and found Joey up to his elbows in a massive pile of dirt (with his school clothes on).  When he heard me sigh and saw my eyes rolling he just said, "It's a boy's life, mom.  It's a boy's life."  And with that I shrugged my shoulders and headed back into the house.  Can't argue with that. 

Our addition is almost done.  The siding is on the outside and the walls were textured and the ceiling was painted yesterday.  Now we have to stain the woodwork and paint the walls.  After that the carpeting goes in and all will be well and good.  I can't wait until it is done.  Our back patio will be poured early next week and then hopefully we can plant some grass in the backyard right after that so the boys will actually be able to play out there again in a few weeks.
And speaking of our yard.  We had a huge bunny in our yard digging a massive hole in what little grass we did have.  It made me really mad until I saw 6 or 7 tiny baby bunnies coming out of it.  They are just beautiful.  They even let me sneak up to them to take a few shots.  You probably can't tell from this picture but they were each only about three inches.  So sweet.
Last night they were huddled under a nearby bush.  Why they didn't want to sleep in their underground nest I don't know (maybe they are too big now) but I hope they make it okay.  There are a ton of cats that roam this neighborhood (and some foxes and hawks too).  Hopefully, they all make it and grow up and move far away from my yard and my flowers.  ;)

Now we are anxiously awaiting for the weather to catch up with the calendar so that we can truly enjoy our summer break.  After this week of craziness and rushing around it would be wonderful to relax in the nice warm sunshine and soak in a bit of summer.   We have so been looking forward to picnics and swimming and camping and bonfires.  I hope the summer weather comes soon.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Those bunnies are just precious! We've had more bunnies that usual in our neighborhood this year and I love seeing them hopping around.

Congrats to your boys. Between the two of us, we'll have most of the younger grades covered as I'll have a kindergartener, a 4th grader.....then of course the big 7th grader. :)

Jessa said...

I have a 3rd and 5th grader now and I don't know where the time has gone.

Cyndy Bush said...

Congrats on all of the achievements! "It's a boy's life" - LOVE it!
The bunnies are SOOO cute! I hope they do grow up and leave your yard!

Tonya said...

Yay for summer break and the addition being finished!!! Now to fix this weather problem :)

Cassie said...

They are all getting so big so fast!! The bunnies are precious :)

Scrappy said...

"It's a boys life, mom." Haha!! So true!
Congrats to all your boys. Tell Joey I think it's pretty awesome that he made student of the month!
I find it interesting that kids seem to go through a time around the age of 7 and 8 that they test their boundaries. I don't think it is a coincidence that it is at that time that children have their first communion (or in my religion's case, baptism).
Those bunnies are adorable. We used to live on a golf course right next to the water trap. I loved watching the little duck families every spring. So fun to watch nature right in your back yard.

lime said...

time does speed by. mine are supposed to be in kindergarten and third grade but i have one graduating and one in high school who towers over me and one in college! where does the time go?

such sweet pictures of your boys. savor the time. i know you do.

Mom24 said...

Those bunnies are too adorable!

How big your kids are getting!!

How did I never realize Joey and Julianna are the same age? So funny.

Your addition looks wonderful. I know how much you'll enjoy having your backyard again too.

Riahli said...

"It's a boy's life..." Ha ha!!! That sounds like something Banden would say while covered in dirt as well.

It's crazy how fast they grow isn't it! I can't believe our school year is almost over as well... wish the weather would cooperate and really crank out the warmth now. I guess I shouldn't complain as we just had a fairly nice weekend, but then it ended up raining last night and it's all icky again today, sigh.

Love the baby bunnies, so so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, all the closure at the end of the school year. Kind of makes me sad.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Always a pleasure to pop in for a visit with you. SO MUCH going on! I hope your remodel winds up soon so those adorable boys + girl can have their backyard back.

XO ~~ Debbie

p.s.
Cute bunnies eat gardens . . . FAST!

Burgh Baby said...

ZOMGBabyBunniesSoCuteCan'tThinkAAAAAAAAAH!

Karen Deborah said...

I caught up and read down to the last post I had read where you went to the zoo. I can't believe how big the kids are getting. Having had two brothers I do believe every word of what you say. I could tell you some stories. Actually playing in that dirt and making some mud pies and mud roads for cars would keep them busy all day. Then you hose them off outside and they go straight to the tub to finish the deal.
Wrestling is just part of growing up. One time I mixed laundry soap and water all over my mom's patio to make "finger paint" We were having such a great time playing in it and "keeping clean," I couldn't understand why all of a sudden both my parents were screaming at us.
OF course the whole lawn died. I didn't know that soap could hurt anything. MY bum sure did hurt after my Dad was finished with me.
Your in the age of surprises but your not alone!
So great to see you outside in shorts, when you thought warm weather would never get there.
Missed you
KD

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson